Thursday, May 19, 2005

Some quatrains from Tamamshudh by Deepak Menon

A few quatrains from "Tamamshudh - Poems of Passion"

by Deepak Menon

28. Many of thy lovers do dance to the sound
Of thy Voice, which makes their world go round.
Some with thine Eyes are enamoured.
But I? - To thy Unseen Soul am bound.

31.And shall thy soul be join'd with mine
When this thy vessel be drained of wine?
Or will it be scattered into the sky
To join the stars that eternally shine?

39.Drunk was I at the rosy flush of dawn
On the fruits of thy ring which I did pawn
The day before, at the tavern's door.
Alas! Both thy ring and thee are gone.

55. 'Tis a wonderful field where He left us all
Each player playing with his own little ball.
Striking here and there without a goal
Until He blows the final whistle - of recall!

76.'Tis a strange desire that will not go away
- Even when the Vine's daughter holds me in sway.
To try to forget the moment spent with thee
Is the reason I go to the tavern - Day after day.

94.A beggar coming across a piece of manuscript one-day
Stared at it in illiterate puzzlement on his way.
Then casting it aside he consoled himself by saying
"The sages too understand not HIS manuscript, they say".

105.O Khayyam! These many long years have I read
About the sorrows that are thy wine and bread.
But tell me did they finally lay thee to rest
On that hallowed ground where She - used to tread?

150. Life eternal is the definition of Love
Which lives on There in the heavens above
And this Earth where we spend our short sojourn
Is but the beautiful birthplace - of Love.

160.It is my desire that before I merge into clay
One final pilgrimage to MY MECCA I will pay,
To beg the forgiveness of all those I loved,
-For having loved them - and saddened their way.

166.The Rose of Autumn is but a vanishing dream
Blurred by the falling leaves, once so green.
But unlike the leaves which, dying, turn to gold
The destiny of the Autumn Rose is to fade away - unseen.

I hope you liked the verses.

Deepak Menon

No comments: