Thursday, March 15, 2012

The City - a Poem by me

The City

Mud splatters my bare feet
Stars shine in darkened skies
As I walk to where we used to meet
The night echoes some waif's cries.

I see the pavements lumpy with logs
Huddled against the cold night chill
Humanity interspersed with dogs
Carrion awaiting vultures' will

The stench of decay fills my soul
Like tangible shadows invading me
Questions whirl; I approach my goal
The now solitary Tamarind Tree

Dim memories of a long forgotten grove
Of verdant sunlit waving leaves
Fleet through my mind; my eyes rove
For the spot, which still its magic weaves

My feet softly caress the hallowed soil
As they have done these many years
Then must I return to again toil
To forget your memory through tears

And become one with the City for another night
And live with the City through another day
The City where my kin are common sight
The City that gives and then takes away.


Copyright © Deepak Menon ("The City" is part of a collection of poems from my third volume of poetry entitled "A Lingering Fragrance....". )

6 comments:

Lin ... said...

Deepak

This is very beautiful !!!

Thankyou for sharing it my friend.

((♥))

Carol Drumgoole said...

Beautiful poem, Deepak!

Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

Abha Menon said...

This is a thought provoking poem- "The city that gives and then takes away", indeed we all are driven towards the city attracted by its glamour, for the prosperity and growth that it promises....but it takes its fair share of price by taking away our leisure, our time, our freedom of thought and deed and leaves us parched for those beautiful memories of our beloved, the carefree banter......and we surely remember those famous lines...."what is this life so full of care.......there is no time to stand and stare" and in HINDI, " Dil dhoondta hai phir wahi fursaat ke raat din...." well written Deepak.

Pollyanna IsMyName said...

The talented one has returned. You are spot on with this poem. Waves at Abha.
LOVE YOU BOTH.

welcome to my sanctuary. -cbb said...

How nostalgic, Deepak,

varsha nagpal said...

The city does neither. It is there for us. We live in a city but keep yearning for some other place. The city is just a dwelling place which gives us shelter, money, health care, friends. What does it take away? Your time as you travel? But then for what one gets in a city one has to give up something. One couldn't have continued happily looking after the herd of cows or tending to the farms in a farm or village! Could we? Those are idyllic, wonderful places in our thoughts, where one can look back and pine for what is not!