Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Slip of the Disk is a fault of the mind - avoid ego rule

Dear Friends – Perfect or Imperfect, Tall or Short, Fat or Thin, Fair or Dark, Big or Small, Boys or Girls, Serious or Frivolous, Holy or Unholy Joe’s or Jane’s, or what ever other way you choose to describe yourself,
This is an UPDATE on how time has passed ever since I was laid on the bed as a result of my allowing my inflated ego determine my prowess and  thereby forgetting that my tremendous strength rested on my brawny arms and shoulders, and that thick globe I carry on my shoulders full of some dense woody substance they call my brain which can be better described by Abha who knows the extent of it’s thickness and density better than everyone, I leaped out of bed early one morning a couple of weeks ago, awakened by the sound of a Gas cylinder being knocked around, so I leaped up and rushed to the Kitchen, hysterically admonishing ABHA for attempting to perform a task better suited for one endowed with superhuman strength like me and certainly not meant to be done by a member of the delicate tender fairer sex like her, and then pushing her aside I bent and lifted the Gas Cylinder to insert it under the slab where the Gas Stove was lying, and since the stupid architect who had designed this flat for the State Bank of India under the generally ridiculous guidelines of the Premises Department of the Local Head Office many decades ago, with lots of angles at every intersection or joining of any two wall resulting in there not being even a single room which is either square or rectangular – the house is a jigsaw puzzle enthusiasts delight – and that architect has also put his special touches to the area under the kitchen slab by building a silly 6 inch high ledge on the floor which makes it impossible to push the Gas Cylinder under the slab and neither can it be put under the kitchen slab upright, and so it has to be lifted up 6 inches, and inclined at an angle of about 23 Degrees and then put inside which means that if one is not so particular about bending ones back 23 degrees everything is alright, except when one is trying to insert a full cylinder of Cooking Gas into the aforesaid space below the kitchen slab, because I have discovered to my horror that while the Gas Cylinder slipped in quite well, there is something called a disk or disc or whatever which is placed between ever set of two vertebrae in the spine of every living homo sapien, and that silly disc thing slips out the moment that Gas Cylinder slips in, and the tirade I was under process of delivering to Abha turned into a loud strangled shriek because the disk thing between some L-5 Vertebrae in my spine chose to slip out and attacked my spinal cord  which I later got to know is hanging around a few millimeters away and give a huge electric shock kind of severe pain in all the nerves of the lumbar area similar to what happens to lumberjacks when they try to ignore their brawny arms and try to lift a fallen tree using their backs instead – needless to say Abha has the habit of closing her eardrums   -something like the film that snakes or frogs can suddenly generate to cover their eyes with to block out the sight of any obnoxious creature like a mongoose if it ventures into the compass of their vision - so she did not bother to respond like a good Pavitra Hindu Nari wife should have done by bursting into tears and screaming with terror, but instead she went about whatever she was dong, till my specific comment that something has cracked in my back jerked her out of her stupor – and she came and after helping me straighten out, wasted the entire drama of the moment by NOT bursting into tears and screaming with terror like she should have done, but instead she told me to get into the bed and lie flat and she brought out the Chinese TIGER balm as I kept repeating that I had a sprain in my back, and those of you who have had occasion to use that Tiger Balm  thing  will understand how hot it made my back  as well which quite cooled the heat in my head -  so I remained in Bed and before leaving for office, she put the Laptop next to the bed and a big tray full of sweets and biscuits and a thermos of the super tea she makes etc etc and with the remote control of the TV as well as the AC also with my eBook and Lots of novels which I had been planning to read but did not get time to, so I had a great time in the bed and believe me this kind of luxury happens only once in a while so if you get a chance, then really enjoy yourself!
Since I hate going to the Doctor, I have an inflated ego, and also think that I am like the INCREDIBLE HULK,  I thought that it will get all right in a short while, I resisted going to the doctor and when it did not improve even after 10 days, finally Abha put  her foot down heavily on the floor, got me whining and cribbing into the Car and took me to the Doctor Bones a couple of kilometers away, and he gave me such a penetrating and piercing glare of approbation, that I had no courage to even try to sidestep his directive to admit me to his hospital IMMEDIATELY, so I succumbed and there I remained for 5 full days with nurses more like dragons attending to me and lots of chaps dropping into the room every half an hour to stretch me by hanging weights from my torso or turning me on my stomach and giving electric shocks to my spine or using some heating pads which almost burnt my remaining pride to ashes etc etc – so I remembered my friend Donald and while bearing the imprisonment as well as all the bruises to my huge ego, I said what he always said – “What to do?”.
To cut a long story short I am now back to the luxury of the 5 star home which Abha has kept just right for me with all the afore said luxuries and glad to say that so shall I remain for the next couple of weeks till I get the clearance from Dr. Bones to walk – though, between you and me, I do get up sometimes in between to go to the bathroom etc (Remember that all that is hidden behind that little word ‘etc’ will never be revealed so don’t even try to ask ha ha).
I would have written more details for the more inquisitive amongst you, but it is rather tiresome to lie in bed flat on your back and write a long letter so I am keeping this short, of course I think that a short letter like this is better than clicking on the ‘like’ icon on Facebook ha ha. Just remember to avoid lifting Gas Cylinders or even Big Bank Ledgers from the floor while sitting on a chair as my good friend Cherian told me just now when he rang up from Abu Dhabi where he is located, because he did that many years ago and faced the same slip of the disk and found out that it is different from a slip of the tongue, though in the business of banking, both may have horrific consequences ha ha.
Love to all of you and yours from Abha and I
Deepak

22 comments:

bennett ~ said...

Back injuries can be so painful. I hope you are feeling better very soon. Take care, my friend.

Lin ... said...

lol.... Dear ((Deepak))) ... only you could find and express the humor
in the pain of a slipped disc, resulting in complete bed rest for
well over 10 days.

Rest easy and heal quickly, (((♥))) !!!!


Keeping you in my prayers
for a complete recovery soon.

Hugs and blessings.





Deepak Menon said...

Dear Lin and Beni
Good to see you drop in and of course one has to find some humour in such situations - what else is there to do? And since one has started writing a missive, it is but natural for one to let ones thoughts flow into the letter in the sequence they arise in one's mind, even if the sequence of the thought process has been rather awry as a result of thinking of that silly architects architecture or mis architecture ha haha
Keep well my dear friends and one day I will write about the exercises that Dr. Bones has given me to do - maybe I will exhibit them in person when we meet - I am grinning at the sudden thought of you all doing those exercises ha ha ha and an additional hee hee hee too!
Take care and keep in touch
Deepak

Karol ..................... said...

Awwww... poor, poor baby... ( now doesn't that make you feel better)? All kidding aside, I am truly sorry to hear about your experience. I have experienced both a slipped disc and Tiger Balm, but thankfully, not at the same time. I know how HOT that ointment can be. It was a terrible experience you had to go through, and although, you are doing your best to keep it light, I know it was anything but. I hope you will lift nothing heavier than a fork and knife for sometime to come. I hope this little note will find you improving, and each day, you will feel better than the last, so that very soon, you will be feeling like your old self again.
Sending you best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Karol

Nancy Miller said...

Oh my word!!!! What a calamity, but thanks for sharing all the details of how this happened! Please take care and keep your spirits up!

Carol Drumgoole said...

Take good care of yourself, Deepak. Thanks for sharing the colorful details of your slipped disc. It doesn't seem to be stopping you from sending out entertaining details about your misfortune.
Get better soon. :) ♥

Honor Bright said...

Oh my dear friend, I frowned and ached and laughed and smiled, reading your droll account of your misfortune.
An idea struck me, that the malady that has befallen you, has given (and I hope will continue to give) your marvelous touch at writing, freer rain, now that you are 'somewhat incapacitated,' I find your sense of humor and wit, are in top form.

Perhaps this is to 'settle you down' to write, which you do so well.

I look forward to reading more of you, dear heart. And I send to Abha the patience of saints which we 'hear' are so patient, for I am sure, she has her hands more than full, catering to her resident poet. :P

Jos KS said...

dear Deepak,
aptly commented by honorbright.. yes it is a blessing in disguise... let's console with the thought that this incident has brought out the true writer in you. hats off to the humor. keep us enlightened like this forever.. thanks for the tips which friends of same age like me will keep in mind while showing our chivalry in front of better halves in the kitchen( no alternative also). njoy your blessings.. let the 'getting ups' be in the wraps.. cheers.

Honor Bright said...

Yes, every cloud has its silver lining.

Deepak Menon said...

@ Karol - thanks Karol - not to worry - I shall soon be well and shall be there with you some day in the next couple of years to get that Chocolate! And I am so thrilled that you too have used that Tiger Balm - quite clear that the Chinese have it all - so lets sell out what we have with us and move lock stock and barral - better to buy Made in China things right there in Peking instread of buying them in Canada or Frisco or New Delhi!

Deepak Menon said...

@ Nancy and Carol : Thanks and it was not a big calamity - in fact of no consequence if compared with losing a box of the finest Swiss Chocolates in a Submarine! In fact I keep smiling thinking how could I possibly get a slipped disk of all things ha ha ha - and thank you all for your support - it works like a hot cup of coffee laced with Brandy to bring cheer to a person confined to bed!
My friend says it will be quite ok as along as I can control my self and stick to the damned bed!
WHICH I SHALL!

Deepak Menon said...

@ Rose and Jos - Methinks that I have known Jos for many decades and you dear Rose for about a decade, and it is that affection that I have for you all which manifests in my being able to let my feelings flow into words without having to bother about the constraints of grammar or sequence or logic because I know that you all will always receive my letters with cheerful hearts and you never ever fail to send me cheer back a thousandfold - which is why I love you dearly, and I am blessed to have such wonderfully beautiful souls connected to mine - here is a strong handshake for you Jos and
HERE IS A BIG FLYING HUG+KISS COMBINATION FOR YOU Rose!

Honor Bright said...

m'wah.

Likewise my dear. I do not believe in constraining language. It should flow like a river.

Pollyanna IsMyName said...

Are you gettig any better?

Deepak Menon said...

I feel that I am slowly getting better - should be carrying you up the cliffs of Dover (Figuratively speaking) in a few weeks!
And how have you been Pollyanna?

Karol ..................... said...

I first found Tiger Balm in Thailand many years ago, at the Tiger Balm Gardens. I have since bought it here. Its very good, but certainly not good enough to ease the pain of a slipped disc.
Hope you are feeling better

Honor Bright said...

What? Have you made a full recovey? Where is my second installment of the recovering Deepak?

Abha Menon said...

@ Rose - Oh! I don't think I am anywhere near full recovery - the only thing is that I am lying at home on the bed - and because of the Laptop, I am on the net to write this flat on my back - in fact this morning when I woke up and went to open the door for the Cook who comes every morning at 6 AM (Abha had to go to Dehradun for some bank work) the back was quite painful and the muscles very stiff too! I suspect that full recovery is a long way off - I will have to go again to the Dr Bones on Sunday morning - so he will advise the further process of action. But all will be well if you are worried about our much delayed Tryst in Las Vegas when I come to the US the next time.

Deepak Menon said...

@ Rose :- I think that Abha did not unclick that "Remember me" thing before pushing off to Dehradun - so when I clicked multiply - did not notice that I was logged in as Abha - so the message from the Abha thing is actually from me, your friend of eons - Deepak

Honor Bright said...

ah well at any rate, very astute observations.

I am far away from Vegas now, wounded warrior.

Deepak Menon said...

@ Rose&Pollyanna - Hmmm - Well, I suggest you contact each other and find an alternative to our Vegas tryst - though if you plan well in advance - I am sure you will be able to make it to Vegas - and from there we can go and enjoy the Grand Canyon on a day trip - we can really have a great time and not be bound by any rules - some live lawlessly - I live rulelessly and so shall you too!

welcome to my sanctuary. -cbb said...

omg! some kinda

...well, time to get up, sweet fella :)