Thursday, May 04, 2006

Sleep! - A poem by Deepak Menon

SLEEP

Sleep! Why do you not come to me?
To cradle my furrowed brow in your lap
And gently close my eyes
Shutting out the world of lies
Where caged I live in this iron trap.

I know that you do not understand why
I should call to you so very soon
When it was only last night
In dusk's fading light
That you came to me with the rising moon

And while I slumbered, you smoothed my brow
And covered my body with your own gown
Though restless I slept
And in dreams I wept
Tears my livid memory scars to drown

I woke with the same old ache in my heart
Feeling that to me you had never come
Had never rested my head
On your lap pillow in bed
Forgive me! I was not what I have become.

3 comments:

Samir said...

yet another classic piece dear papa...

:-)..

Samir said...

yet another classic piece dear papa...

keep churning them out... :-)

Deepak Menon said...

Sammy - This is a classic example of the classic age where my silly mind steps into in its unorganised way Ha Ha - And it is morning but I am feeling sleepy - with love
Your POP