Monday, August 08, 2011

Neu Schwanstien - The Schloss - Abha Deepak Mrinal - our visit to Germany July 2011




Mrinal drove us from Innsbruck, Ellbogen, Austria, to this beautiful Castle in Germany one day. The drive through the Austrian Alps was amazingly like a drive through the mountains of our dreams. Lush vegetation, beautiful villages and towns, incredible tunnels - one was 14 KM long, with lighting and superb roads and speeds of 80-90 KMPH even inside the tunnel - WOWEEEEE!
And then finally we had our first glimpse of this most beautiful of Castles of the world. In Germany they are called a Schloss - but I will use the word Castle. Lush meadows led us to the beautiful town at the base of the hills where it was built.
Everyone who has seen the great musical movie "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" must have been enthralled in the scene where the flying car flies over a castle and that castle was Neu Schawanstien! Find the You Tube link to the song - and enjoy the castle!
I will add to this blog in a while - but enjoy the photos till I manage to put in a more comprehensive description! We were not allowed to use the Flash in the Castle and it was not too brightly lit from inside to preserve the paintings and fresco in the Castle, so I am only posting the ones which were clear. Unfortunately the part of the movie where the car flies over the Neu Schwanstein Castle has been removed from You Tube due to some copyright infringement - but you all can see the movie all right when you get it.
AND ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO, I saw a calender of the castle and was so impressed by its pristine beauty that I PAINTED THE NEU SCHWANSTIEN CASTLE WITH A ROCKY FACE, never having seen it and not knowing that one day I would actually be standing inside it.. I am posting that painting my me also in this album - albeit with a little artistic license ha ha
Deepak and Abha!!

21 comments:

Honor Bright said...

Where is your painting? They all look like photos to me. What a lovely trip.

Deepak Menon said...

Hey Presto - your wish is my command dear Lady of Bright Rose! I have posted the painting - please condone the changes I have made as well as the smile on the face of one of the towers which I just had to paint!

Catherine Armant said...

Oh this is priceless !   

Catherine Armant said...

A very special place.

A very awesome Castle.

Catherine Armant said...

This is a smashing Photo. Well done !

Catherine Armant said...

Very lovely.

Catherine Armant said...

Dear Deepak, this is so cool !

I love it !

welcome to my sanctuary. -cbb said...

gee, Deepak, how you make the most of your life! look at you! at the prime of his life.

Deepak Menon said...

@ Catherine - Am so happy you liked my painting - it is a large painting and painted in watercolours. I decided to change things which means that the tall tower has big eyes and there is a lake with a boat right behind the castle and a rocky face ha ha. And thank you for the other comments you made - the scenery from the Schloss was really amazing. And the minstrel playing that unusual instrument, was really very nice, we had a nice chat with him and put in a couple of euros into his hat too!

@Carol - Blushing - but I do agree that I do feel that I am in the prime of life though the specs have made themselves quite at home on my face ha ha

Deepak Menon said...

The scenery or Abha ?
Or both ha ha?

Catherine Armant said...

B O T H !!!

Of course.

Pollyanna IsMyName said...

I wanna go there! Beautiful!

Pollyanna IsMyName said...

Such a beautiful lady , with a beautiful smile, graces the scenery!

Pollyanna IsMyName said...

Who is that handsome bloke?

Pollyanna IsMyName said...

This is so great!

Pollyanna IsMyName said...

What a sight to behold!

Pollyanna IsMyName said...

This is a perfect photo. Abha looks so serene!

Pollyanna IsMyName said...

I see someone broke out the paints. It is about time!

Deepak Menon said...

@ Catherine and Pollyanna : Some years ago, I was posted heading a big branch of my bank in Saharanpur. My ageing aunt was always a great artist - so I bought a big aisle and a complete set of paints and brushes and that special paper they paint on for her birthday present. Then after seeing her paint, the bug bit me - so I went to the bazaar and bought myself a box of paints and paper and started painting. I painted about 15 big full size paintings, this was changed a bit from the picture I had seen in a magazine, and some I painted from my silly head and roving heart. It was a great experience, but suddenly I got bored of painting, and having hung many of them on the walls of my house in Doon, there was no space left - so I called it a day and peremptorily stopped painting. This was one of them and it was such a beautiful moment actually going and standing inside that beautiful creation the Neu Schwanstien Castle in Germany, where my friend of decades, Mrinal drove us to.

Deepak Menon said...

@ Pollyanna - That bloke only looks handsome to you because he loves you always from the start for your gracious ways and wonderful smile in the only photograph you ever sent him, and also the way you devote your life to caring for those who need caring - the veterens of your wonderful country.
@ Rose - I have posted the painting at the end of the list and this is the remark I posted there QUOTE - Some years ago, I was posted heading a big branch of my bank in Saharanpur. My ageing aunt was always a great artist - so I bought a big aisle and a complete set of paints and brushes and that special paper they paint on for her birthday present. Then after seeing her paint, the bug bit me - so I went to the bazaar and bought myself a box of paints and paper and started painting. I painted about 15 big full size paintings, this was changed a bit from the picture I had seen in a magazine, and some I painted from my silly head and roving heart. It was a great experience, but suddenly I got bored of painting, and having hung many of them on the walls of my house in Doon, there was no space left - so I called it a day and peremptorily stopped painting. This was one of them and it was such a beautiful moment actually going and standing inside that beautiful creation the Neu Schwanstien Castle in Germany, where my friend of decades, Mrinal drove us to.

Deepak Menon said...

This is another castle on a neighboring hill, seen from the window of the Neu Schwanstien Castle where we were.